Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Job change dilemma 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissouriPE

Civil/Environmental
Jul 30, 2001
US
My head is all jumbled up and I am hoping that posting this will, if nothing else, help me sort it all out.

Brief about me: BSCE, PE, 11.5 years of experience (general civil, site, stormwater most recently - some other misc skills)

Demoted after I stepped on the wrong toe - went from $61,700 to $53,200 - awaiting appeal decision; if justice prevails (demotion totally bogus), I might go back to old job, but overall I want to leave in the next 12 mo

One sticking point: vest in retirement in Dec and walk away with nothing if leave before 12/1, walk away with nearly $11k if stay until after then

Job offer on table: $61k with possible bonus in the $1500 range; Good general civil firm, but I haven't done design for 7 years although obviously I convinced them that I could go back to doing it without too much trouble and I am skills in other areas they have some needs for too (NPDES Phase II, sw master plans, some GIS, etc). 40 min commute Overall decent benefits for a private firm, but probably not quite as good as I have now (public).

Another job lead (nothing firm and nothing firm immediately forthcoming) - Building Phase II programs (my specialty) for other communities for a nationwide firm working as an off-site employee (from my house); massive opportunity if they ever get their act together and make an offer doing my DREAM work

Too many variables, indeterminate equations - ugh!

1. Assuming demotion upheld, take job offer??
2. Assuming demotion not upheld, suck it up and wait for Dec and start looking then??
3. Assuming demotion upheld, wait out other opportunity??
4. Assuming demotion not upheld, wait out other opportunity and see if I have to wait until Dec??

In perfect world, dream job would offer me sacks of cash and I could jump into working with them in the next four weeks. LOL - or maybe I should have just kept my stupid mouth shut.

Oh, and to complicate matters: almost 3 and almost 6 year old children and a husband that is an electrician and spent 14 weeks unemployed last year, but when working makes decent money.

Feedback appreciated, but I know the answer has to lie in my own heart. Prayers appreciated too. I know that this bogus demotion was probably the good Lord's way of kicking me into gear about making some big decisions regarding my life and career.

Sorry for being so long winded -
CL

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can't you consider to have the off-site work together with your current job while the court decision/December arrives?
It's a 10 month period but eventually as also the it is not immediate, so you might just need to accumulate for some months and not all year.

I would agree that if you can hold out (only you know if you can), the $11k you would get after 12/1 more than offsets your current demotion. And if your demotion is overturned, would you get the back pay as well? If you can work with developing your dream job from home at the same time with this tenative job lead. Would you be able to do some freelance work with them on a contract basis?

Good luck

MissouriPE,

Sorry to hear about about the bogus demotion. I've never heard of such a thing in the automotive field. I've seen people demoted, but I've never seen someone's pay cut along with it.

Until you know the status of the "demotion" ruling, I wouldn't do anything at all. It sounds like you should wait for that to occur, and that gives you more time for the "dream" opportunity to possibly come to fruition. You didn't mention your current commute, vs. the opportunity that is a 40 minute commute, nor if that is even important to you. I'm in CA, so the commute is a BIG deal to me, but perhaps not for you.

From the way your post read to me, it appears you really would like the opportunity to let the "dream" job scenario pan out. There also seems to be no financial inducement to take the new job, as the $11k for retirement offsets the lost income. However, that decision may not be so simple as you might need that money to pay bills today. If so, you may have to elect to jump to the new opportunity.

Be patient and let things take their course. I would view the in-hand job offer as a backup plan only, for now, unless you think you would be really happy with that type of work. Otherwise, tough it out where you are in order to get where you REALLY want to go.

Good luck, and I hope justice prevails.

-Tony Staples

The owner of the toe is going to be your mortal enemy forever if the demotion is not upheld, and probably also if it is.

Stay, and said toe owner will make the next year very stressful for you, not in an overt or actionable way, but you'll know what's going on. At the end of the ordeal you face, you may wish you had just given up on the money.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I hope you have been documenting everything the said toe owner has done, said, or even looked wrong at you.

I've been is three hostile work environments and almost took them to court for things that were said and done by the owners/presidents. Lucky for them that was in my younger years......now I would not think twice at dragging someones ars into a law suite for physical & verbal abuse.

Best of luck to you.

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
XP Pro SP2.0 P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right." -- George Best

Hello CL,

FYI a demotion with a large salary cut is considered the equivalent of being laid off in some places. In other words, depending on were you are located you can leave the company and be eligible for unemployment insurance.

In my opinion there are certain things that a salary adjustment means:

1) raise = "we want you to stay"
2) no raise = "we want you to leave"
3) reduction = "are you still here?"

You know what is best for you, just giving you some information.

Good luck,

Pat on the back to you for the nice follow through.

It feels good to have the burden lifted after you notify your ex-employer that you are leaving.

I followed similar advice just recently.
I kept it short and simple, and non-emotional.

Unfortunately, I also agreed to work a three-week notice rather than the traditional two-weeks. This provides everyone you work with an opportunity to drill you for details and say rather inappropriate things to you about their own situation, because you become some kind of hero to them for actually sacking-up and quitting.

Everyone unable or afraid to quit just vents about it, and as the "short timer" everyone focuses on you.

Also, three weeks gives your management far too long to think about life after you are gone, and they tend to place rather lofty expectations on the work you should finish before you go. When you inevitably do not finish that 10 week project in 4 weeks, then that becomes the last impression you leave on those you expect to provide a reference for you in the future.

Absolutely do not agree to work more than two weeks after giving your notice.

FYI - the four weeks notice is per the personnel policy manual unless I want to give up getting paid for all my accrued vacation. Ugh! Unless they really want me to go enough that they will overlook that policy. I'll read the fine print better next time. Always a lesson learned.

I'n no lawyer, and I once had a job situation that got nasty enough that I paid a lawyer who specialized in employment law for an hour and half of his time - well worth the money for my past situation.

Generally (and unless you signed an employment contract), an employee works "at will" meaning that an employee can quit at any time, and an employee can be terminated at any time. Details vary some state to state. Unless you signed something that specifically holds you to a four week notice, they may be just blowing smoke. Your accrued vacation possibly just cannot be taken away. However, finding a reilable employment lawyer may take some checking around. Sharks frequently don't distinguish friend from foe when feeding.

Back to your original post, when trying to select the lesser-of-the-evils when your mind has become muddled with the situation, talk. Eng-tips discussions are good. Spouse, family, friends, pastor, church members, and others make good people to discuss the issue with also - sometimes not to really find the answer, but to help clear-the-smoke so you can see the answer yourself.

In my opinion one way or another it is time to leave, the question is when. Sounds like the job offer on the table comes close to making up the difference in vesting, and is it really going to be worth staying and being miserable, or more likely being made miserable?

It is not unusual for managers that don't have a case for dismissal, but do want to get rid of someone to make their lives miserable until they quit.

The old proverb is that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I think you should really consider the offer on the table.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back