Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Joggled Skin Repair Doubler

Status
Not open for further replies.

hombre

Aerospace
Jun 24, 2003
US
If you joggle an internal repair doubler up and over a stringer and pick up the existing stringer fasteners, are these fasteners ineffective?

Bruhn discusses joggled members, i.e. angles, and says a general rule of thumb is not to allow any axial load across the joggle. The required balancing load is not available except in the vertical leg and thus a loss of stiffness and strength results.

A joggled doubler obviously does not have a vertical leg, so the balancing load should be a moment that may be reacted by the fasteners. I cannot see in this instance how the row of fasteners across the joggle is completely ineffective as a colleague has told me.

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's as effective only as much as the deflections allow. A flat sheet stretches under load, and the rivets load up only enough to balance the forces and deflections simultaneously. A joggle present between two rivet rows would introduce a "large" deflection (large, that is, in proportion to all the other deflections). The rivets in the first row will be lightly loaded - just enough to make the deflection of the base sheet match the doubler's - and the second row would do all the work.

Steven Fahey, CET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back