Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Joggling in solid works 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

copter

Aerospace
Jan 24, 2004
CA
I am quite new to solidworks being an Autocad user. Please can any one tell me how to put a joggle in a sheet metal fold.Not the jog feature though..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A joggle is a step in the sheet metal plane. Sort of like this: ---|_____|---

The easiest way to do this is to create your joggle in your sketch, and then do a thin extrude.

Now, if you are talking about a reinforcement break across a bend (acting as a gusset), SW can do it (via Forming Tools), but it won't be able to give you a flat pattern file from it.

These types of bends deform the material, something SW can't deal with.

Ray Reynolds
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Ok, I understand what you are trying to do. There are a number of ways to accomplish this. If it is part of the main body, I would incorporate it into the Base Flange (which is usually a thin extrude type sketch). If it were on the end of a long part I would probably either do a thin extrud or a few Edge Flange features depending on how I planned to control the length of the flanges. If there are no side flanges you can also insert bends, but that seems like the long way around. As for a reinforcement rib (or gusset as you would say) solidworks will not comepensate for a feature such as that unless it were to cross the entire flat of the part, such as _/\_. To calculater deformation requires forming software. I believe there is one out there called Form Works that is an add on to solidworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back