Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Joining Arcs and Lines together

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndoyle422

Civil/Environmental
Sep 4, 2013
US
A series of lines and arcs have been put together (in Microstation) and imported into AutoCAD Civil 3D 2014. The lines and arcs are connected to form a concept road alignment.

I now have to get the total length of these alignments. I am finding the only way I can do that is by joining them together and using the LIST command. However I am having trouble joining the lines and arcs. I tried the PEDIT. I go through all of the steps, but in the end, 0 items are joined. Is there something I am missing?

Please help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They won't join if they e.g. overlap and/or conversely have gaps that can't be bridged. I usually zoom in on these things to see what is missing. Turning them into alternate colors might help - you see the overlap better. You can extend and/or trim them individually so that they can be converted to a single polyline. Can be time consuming if there are many. Or lay another, single polyline on top of them following the original. Of course, for arcs the points have to close enough not to loose the curvature.

Thank you for your response.

When I zoom in, they look pretty attached. I even tried FILLET at a radius of zero and still was unable to join them. I read somewhere that it might have something to do with the elevation. I did try the command FLATTEN. Not sure what happened. I can't remember how to check the Z position of a point.

I did think about laying a line over them, but there are a lot of arcs. Seems like it may be my only option.

-N

One other thing that might be causing that, if you haven't checked....

Are they true arcs, or are they splines? (To the best of my info, splines can't be joined to polylines)

Given this is presumably a 3D highway alignment from a modelling package and then imported into CAD, the individual segments haven't each turned into 2D lines, but with different heights have they?

This has previously happened to me with 3D alignments from MX.

I'm not too familiar with Microstation. But I do believe these are just basic lines and arcs made in Microstation. Didn't appear to me to be alignment or 3D.

For anyone else who may be wondering...

I Occupant's advice and just did an overlay polyline.

I wasn't sure how to figure out if the lines I imported were splines or arcs.

Seemed to be the simplest way...

Thanks for your responses!

-N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back