Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

joint connections in rectangular steel square tube trusses 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregnordholm

Marine/Ocean
May 17, 2003
US
I am looking for English, AISC, etc. references to assist in design check of connections between large square tube main cords of a truss made of rectangular steel tube and the lacing tubes.

The problem is that the square tube main cords are 16 x 16 x 5/8 with 6 x 6 x 3/8 tube diagonals and perpendiculars.

By first principals I cannot make the connections figure but the European who designed it says he has a reference that indicates the connections are fine. I calculate big overloads in panels of main cords attached to lacing from loads perpendicular to the primary axis of the main cord.

Thanks for any assistance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try Design of Hollow Structural Section Connections by Packer and Henderson (Can. Institute of Steel Construction)

Then, you'll realize that there's no way that the connection you propose can work. Ask the European designer to provide you with connection calcs, as well as the combined effect of local connection stresses and global truss stresses.

First rule of engineering:

If it looks bad at first glance, it probably IS bad.[mad]

tg

I got the reference mentioned from CISC and found them very helpful and prompt. Its a great reference.

Also AISC has a free down load "LOAD AND RESISTANCE FACTOR DESIGN SPECIFICATION FOR STEEL HOLLOW STRUCTURAL SECTIONS"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back