Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Jominy test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pucp

Materials
Aug 6, 2001
FR
Hi, a purchaser have asked us about the Jominy test of some of the materials we use in our pumps, exactly about our pump shaft. What I want to know is if Jominy test cover all steels, I do not have right now the ASTM procedure to know the scope so I mean stainless steels and air hardenable steels (in this case if it is hardenable on air the Jominy test will help for the same purpose??), because the materials is one of that kind. Also we deliver our shaft without a quenching treatment, so why is necessary to bring the Jominy test info of the material when is does not receive any heat treatment. Does they use this info in replace of the chemical test?. The purchaser is from USA so I guess in USA is very common to ask for this or not??. Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PUCP:

The Jominy end-quench test determines the HARDENABILITY (not the hardness) of a given steel, and therefore is an indirect indicator of composition and hence quality.

Would suggest you ask the supplier or mill from whom you bought the shaft material; they should be able to provide average values.

If you did extensive machining or surface modification of the purchased shafting, your customer may possibly insist that the test be repeated AFTER that work was done.

Pucp,

As tedg mentioned, the Jominy end-quench test is used for evaluating hardenability, which seems somewhat at odds with your statement that no quenching or other heat treatment is performed on this component. ASTM A 255 and SAE J406 are the industry standards that describe the requirements, which can be applied to any type of steel that is sensitive to quenching. For air hardenable steels, they are generally alloyed so that through-thickness hardness variation is not a big concern.

Jominy testing would never be used to replace the necessity for reporting the chemical composition. It is a test that steel mills frequently perform to ensure that their process variables (melt practice, alloy additions, grain refinement, etc.) produce consistent hardenability in the steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back