Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Journal Bearing End seals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechatroPro

Mechanical
Mar 26, 2008
IR
Hello,
I'm wondering how Journal bearings are sealed at the two ends to prevent leakage of the pressurized oil inside the bearing at the start of the rotor operation. because at at that momemnt, oil pressure is supplied by external means and should be more more than the rotor weight to lift the rotor at the start.
I know bearing housing are supplied with labyrinth seals at the end, but that shouldn't be sufficient to seal the pressurized oil at startup.
If anyone can explain, I'd appreciate it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most journal bearings are hyrodynamic. They require the rotation of the shaft to produce the hydraulic force to lift the weight of the rotor. This bearing will normally include end seal to limit the leakage of oil from the ends. These seal are typically a close clearance aluminum laby or a narrow land with a babbetted surface.

You were describing a hydrostatic bearing that has enough hydraulic pressure to lift the rotor without rotation. These are much less common. The pressure is not maintained in the entire bearing. There are relatively small areas of the bearing with cavities where very high pressure oil is injected. This oil could be called jacking oil on a machine that rolls slowly on turning gear, for example.

Johnny Pellin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back