Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Journal Bearing Material for Seawater Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

enirwin

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2002
US
I'm looking for an acceptable material for a journal bearing for a seawater pump. Due to the size of the bearing and the radial load, the material must be able to operate at a PV of about 130,000 psi-fpm with essentially no fluid film.

I'm currently using US Graphite Grade 14. My problem is that the material is hygroscopic. Over time, it swells and takes up my pump clearances.

Any help in finding an alternate material would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Eric
maritex@upnaway.com may be able to assist.
A Grade M1610 is used for water condensate vertical re-circulating pumps. The bearing material handles salt water temp 120 deg. Centigrade.

Graphitar 14 is an epoxy-impregnated carbon-graphite material which becomes more prone to hydroscopic swelling when the expoxy contained in residual pores in the carbon-mix matrix is vaporized by dry friction bearing surface loading temperature rises. A metallic rather than epoxy impregnant may be more resistant to such thermal effects. One of the US Graphite (last known as Wickes)metallic impregnated types might be more suitable. Also, Pure Carbon Company in Pennsylvania is known to have developed more thermally stable epoxy-impregnated carbon-graphites than Graphitar 14. Lastly, some of the exotic bearing material plastics like PEEK (polyetheretherketone) have been reported to be more thermally stable than Graphitar 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back