Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Journal capabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

albates1972

Automotive
Feb 10, 2010
US
I was looking to find out more about what NX Journal can do. I currently use a Journal file to export PDF files into a certain directory.

I was wondering if a Journal program can go outside of NX and onto a different file translation website, like NEMO?

We need to export a PDF, then to a TIF (using NEMO) and then to a TIF (GenList) (using NEMO). All this to be able to load into our PDM system (Cheops). So we have 3 steps which include 2 different translations to get where we need to be.

Is there a way a Journal can either go to this site to perform the translations for me or can the Journal do something on its own to get me the final result, which is a compressed TIF along with a (GenList) text file. This is what Cheops is needing to load dwgs into its system.

Thanks,
Allen

Current version: NX 5.0.4.1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Journaling generates Visual Basic .NET code meaning you can interact with EVERYTHING in computing. If you have Acrabat Writer installed, it's pretty easy to get the pdf from NX and convert it using Acrobat functions.

I am sending all file translation points (PDF to TIF & TIF to TIF w/ (gen lst).

The "text" file has an extension of lst. This lst file is used by Cheops to know which tif image to get and where it is at, which is (C:/temp).

First we translate the PDF to TIF, using NEMO. Then we translate the TIF again using NEMO again (TIF to TIF). The lst file is then created along with another TIF image.

I am also putting the VB file that we use also.

Sorry for all the info at once.

Thanks,
Allen

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=416edc28-5f1b-46e5-9df5-1d3d8859927c&file=file_translation_process.zip
What is the address for the NEMO website? I searched, but after wading through pages dedicated to Pixar movies, all I found was this: and I don't think that is what you are using.

Why the 2nd translation (tif to tif)? What does this accomplish?

So the text file is named 'GenList.lst' and its entire contents is "C:\temp"?

We are using a form of NEMO through our internal website. We have to login using our windows ID and Pwd to get there. This might be a problem, program wise, to use this application of NEMO.

Bottom line is we need to get good quality tif image with the genlst file placed in our TEMP directory. We could possibly bypass things to get the final result. I mean placing the exact text of the GenLst in the program itself and create the lst file from the program. As long as Cheops is able to grab the dwg's from our Temp directory.

The 2nd translation was needed to get a compessed tif with the genlst file placed in C:/Temp. Though this example I sent was not compressed if any, but for larger dwgs, it does get compressed. I dont know if that would be too much of an issue as long as it is a tif and genlst created.

The GenList has an extension of "lst" with the P/N in front of it. The GenList contains file info for Cheops to retrieve.

Thanks,
Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back