Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

journal language preference

Status
Not open for further replies.

multicaduser

Industrial
Jan 29, 2013
US
Kind of a survey/usage question on the language used in journals. Currently I'm programming in visual basic, however, I noticed that journals support python. The main reason in thinking of switching to python is there is another cad package I use only supports python, and someone I know needs help learning python.

Does anyone programming journals, having experience in both languages, see advantages of one over the other?

Thanks in advance.

NX 1980 Windows 10

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've contacted our var and scoured the Siemens site, and though there have been many issues in the past with "wave interface linker", the issue with sketch links not updating doesn't appear to be one of those listed. Admittedly, the search criteria might not have been good enough to find it.

However, there is a partial solution. The "wave relinker" function will allow, in the assembly, the correction of the links pointing to the wrong file in all components in one shot. Never having used this function before it is a nice surprise to find it.

NX 1980 Windows 10

I can't help but get the feeling that your previous post was meant as a reply to another thread altogether.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

John you are correct, amazed, impressed and glad to see you're still here. Wonder how many of us UGII people are left.

NX 1980 Windows 10

I've used both VB and Python for journals. IMO, the only real disadvantage to using Python is that you won't get code auto completion (intellisense) in your IDE due to some unfortunate decisions on the part of Siemens. There is a user on the Siemens forum that claims to have a work-around to this issue, but I've not tried it yet. The advantage of Python is that you will be able to use 3rd party libraries with few limitations. When using a .net language, you will need an NXOpen author license to make use of 3rd party libraries (and certain .net libraries).

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back