Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Journal that lists x,y,z coordnates of points as well as component name and reference designator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nateconn

Mechanical
Nov 2, 2011
US
thread561-314774

I read the thread referenced above and it includes a journal that almost does exactly what I need. It generates a comma delimited list of point attribute 'NM' followed by the x, y, z coordinates. I am wondering how to modify it so that instead of the point attribute it will return the owning component filename as well as a component attribute.

The reason I am trying to do this is I have a number of assemblies with the same dozen or so components used in hundreds of places. To build these assemblies in reality we have a robot that basically installs the component based on coordinates given to it. It's a similar process to a pick and place machine used to build circuit cards. We have the components as individual parts each with a reference set that includes a point the machine will use. Also in the assembly each component has an attribute called 'REF' for a reference designator for each component, such as A1, A2, B1, ETC.

So I would like to have a journal generate of list of the points with comma delimited values shown below:

<component file name>,<Component REF Attribute>,<x>,<y>,<z>

for example I could get the journal to produce a list like this:

part1.prt,A1,0.01,0.02,0.00
part1.prt,A2,0.04,0.12,0.10
part1.prt,A3,-0.01,0.62,0.00
part2.prt,C4,-0.81,0.62,0.00
part2.prt,C5,0.91,0.062,0.1100

In the thread referenced at the top that journal Cowski created works except its only looking for an attribute associated with the point, not the point's owning object.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have a reference to the point object, you can get the owning component with:
Code:
thePoint.OwningComponent

If you need the part that contains the point, use:
Code:
thePoint.Prototype.OwningPart

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back