Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Journal to Add Titleblock Pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurley710

Automotive
Feb 4, 2009
US
For years now, we've always used GRIP programming to retrieve a pattern that was our titleblock in which we populated with attributes. Our design department is looking to completely re-vamp our titleblock with a new improved one. Whenever possible, we are trying to eliminate our old GRIP programming and use journal .vb programming instead. Can anyone recommend a way to do so? Is there a way to retrieve a pattern with journals? Or is there even a better way to create a titleblock altogether? All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

-Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My apologies, we just upgraded to NX8.0.1.5. We have our "format" file that we use via the File -> New dialog. We'll generally create our model in the format file, then go into drafting and run our grip to determine which pattern needs added. I assume by using the drawing templates, you're implying to already have the titleblock created in the template file. However, we may not always know initially which pattern needs used until its time to create the drawing. Also, we may need to change which pattern we're using after the initial creation.

You SHOULD be using the Master Model approach where you create you model and THEN decide which Drawing Template that you're going to use to create the Drawing of the ALREADY CREATED MODEL. Note that NX 8.0 provides you with a complete set of NEW tools to define, create and save your drawing templates so that they can be used as described above.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm not sure about using the Master Model. This is how IT has it setup. Our format file does have "master" under the Relationship heading when going File -> New (might not be the same thing). I saw there is the new tools for drawing templates, just haven't quite figured out how they work. Is there the ability to change from one drawing template to another after the drawing is already created? We definitely don't want to re-create the drawing, which is why it was nice to just swap out the patterns as necessary.

If you Drawings are actually an 'assembly' with your part model as a 'component' then you're working in Master Model mode. If it's not, then please change the way you work as this is how NX is NOW designed to work best. As for swapping Drawing templates, at the moment the best approach is to add your new drawing template as a second sheet, move all the views and annotation to the new sheet and then delete the original drawing sheet and go from there.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back