Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

JTFAP Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoJuggler

Geotechnical
Mar 4, 2009
US
Any of you familiar with the Joint Task Force on Areas of Practice Document (JTFAP)? Apparently ASCE Geo-Institute has teamed up with the American Institute of Professional Geologists (AIPG) and the Association of Engineering Geologists (AEG) to define the practice of engineers, geotechnical engineers, engineering geologists and geologists. Based on the document, if you are a regular civil PE (and not a geotechnical engineer) you should not complete soils work. The document suggests that you need to be a geotechnical engineer to do any soils work. If this document is adopted it may substantially limit what civils can do.

It appears that the Geo-Institute has not asked for member input. Only the AEG has asked for member input..this is how I heard about the document.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sometime in the past week or so the Geo-Institute has posted info on the JTFAP document and requested member input. Their deadline is June 15, 2009. AEG also extended their deadline for comments to the same date.

I blogged about these updates at where you can also find a link to download the document and link to some comments already submitted by my local section of AEG.

Rockman (Randy Post)
-- GeoPrac.net: Geo-News Blog and Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back