Junior Structural Engineer interview 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwantcat

Structural
Aug 18, 2019
CA
Hey guys,

I landed my first job interview for a junior structural engineering position. I've done the basics and researched the firm and their projects. And I'm not worried about the behavioural questions. It's the technical questions I'm worried about? Any advice on how to prepare for those?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are some questions I've had in the past:

1. Simple frame with a point load or lateral load. Draw the shear and bending moment diagram.
2. Some sort of "draw in the reinforcement" for a concrete joint. A simple beam or slab to column is an example.
3. A 3D arrangement with a single load. Determine the load at one of the supports or describe the behaviour of the setup.
4. Describe the construction process of simple wood framed wall.
5. Some sort of realistic scenario where you have to give a couple of potential strategies to solve the problem. No solution, just ideas.

Thanks skeletron, this is just what I wanted.

I didn't think they would ask about construction processes [ponder]. I'll have to find my course notes lol

Yep. In any interview, the best answer is to succinctly answer correctly. Usually, that requires past experience, which you are trying to obtain by interviewing for a junior position. Chicken and the egg.

So the next best answer is "Hmm, I don't know, but it looks a little like this and this and this, so maybe some combination of those ideas"

After that is "Hmm, I don't know, but here is where I would go/who I would ask to find out"

And in the working world, you can use "Hmm, I don't know, let me get back to you (on X day)".

Any young engineer who can admit "I don't know" automatically moves up a notch or two in my books.

----
just call me Lo.

it is about finding out how the candidate thinks. Even if you don't know the answer, make good assumptions and try to give a reasonable answer or how you would find out if in the real workplace. don't BS, and don't skip questions entirely.

I would suggest reviewing what you did during internships or past engineering positions, being able to speak intelligently to details of those projects and employers, and having a few high level technical and cultural questions prepared to ask your potential employer. Do not embellish your role or experience, keep things simple but speak toward what tasks YOU in particular have done. I'd rather hear a few inglorious details about how YOU ran endless bolted joint calcs or sized structural elements to reduce cost than what YOUR TEAM did. You obviously earned a degree so its pretty unlikely they're going to insult you with basic undergrad questions and if they do then its probably not a place you want to work.

This is actually my first time interviewing for an engineering position. I haven't done any internships. Current job is a project and contract management position, I'm trying to switch from the management line to the engineering line. So the no experience part also stresses me out.

Even the "engineering line" relies heavily on people skills and soft skills (time management, etc). Don't treat it as though you're going in without experience.

----
just call me Lo.

Sometimes the time management and people skills are harder to learn than some of the technical skills. One is more personality while the other is more instructional. Personality traits are harder to change. So as stated, don't sell those skills short. Also emphasize a desire to learn. College did not teach you anywhere near everything you will need to know so demonstrate the knowledge of that point and your desire to advance technically.

How do you prepare for the technical questions in a job interview? You pay attention to your course work in college. Anything else is just trying to "fake it".

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll do my best to show my intent on learning the technical skills. Regarding people skills, that is definitely one my strengths. Time management as well, learned a lot on the job from other managers.

Make sure you can answer questions on what you included on your resume. We know it's likely your first job in engineering if you recently graduated so it's expected your resume will be more focused on school work than job experience. If you cannot tell me anything about projects you did in your coursework, what you actually did in those projects, what you did in the classes you took and which classes you took, that's a red flag. Saying "I don't remember" too many times won't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back