Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just getting into this field- any advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVACctrl

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2002
US
I'm switching over to this field from HVAC. I am an ME with mostly manufacturing, installation and controls experience- mostly all HVAC. I did work a little in controls and instrumentation for offshore vessels and cranes in the past, though.

I'll be working to design and modify smaller-sized off and on-shore facilities, etc... in a design-build scenario for exploration companies.

Just looking to see if there are any recommendations- books, trade organizations, web sites, etc... that any of you might recommend.

Thanks for the help!

Ed

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look into the semi-submersible vessel business. Going down the subsidiary path, find that Halliburton - KBR - GVAC is into the vessel design business that includes HVAC, etc.

I'll pretty much be limited to the business that my new company is into at the moment. But maybe I can keep an eye on those things and look to get us into new venues, should the opportunity arise.

I certainly want to eventually be in the position to bring bread to the table rather than just churn out work.

Ed

BigInch,
Are you asking me?

Its a small engineering company that does design, project management, purchasing, etc... all mostly in a design-build partneship with various small, independent exploration companies. Its all on the smaller side of things, but looks promising.

Ed

Oil booms seem (to me) to go for about 4 years, then suffer a downturn. You can look at the inflation adjusted historic price here,

After 1983 when I had 3 jobs in one year and all of the co's went bust, I always tried to be looking for a long term project (in a major producing country) about the same time I notice the price topping off.

For the very long term, it might depend on if you believe in peak oil or not.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Sounds about right. I'll be getting an itchy feeling if it doesn't break 80 pretty soon (around the inflation adj $65 level). I also think there could be an upward bounce off of 50 that will buy maybe 6 months. If it breaks 50 to the low side, you probably want to have other work lined up by then.

So I have maybe 2 years in this position? Is that realistic, do you really think?

They say I'm supposed to train under this senior engineer for 3 to 5 years and then ultimately be a or maybe the lead mechanical engineer should he retire.

Who knows what to think any more?

Would dynamic positioning systems and ship control systems have any longer of a lifespan?

In either position, would it be highly expected that I might be laid off in the next few years if/when oil prices dip?

When I lived in Houston in the late 70's and early 80's, I worked contract and used to alternate between petrochem, pipelines, paper and civil structures. Probably a bit more than I needed to, but, none-the-less it saved my bacon a couple of times. I did pipe stress, wood chip conveyors, reactor foundations, finishing buildings, nuclear pipe whip restraints on the South Texas Project, the elevator tower, scoreboard and gymnasium at Texas A&M Kyle Field, compressor foundations, chemical warehouses, piperacks, pipelines, platform piping and structural modifications, boat landing repairs. Anything I could sometimes. All and all, as I said, probably some because I really just liked doing different things, but some of it was necessary to make the house payments from time to time.

As far as petro work goes, it is pretty heavily dependent on the price/BBL, which should theoretically get higher as supplies approach "Peak Oil" levels, so anything could happen in an approach to that scenario. What I think could happen there is the price may go so high, everyone switches to alternates, or only a small amount will be produced, because it becomes totally unaffordable and only a relatively small number of engineers will be needed to produce a small volume of the stuff. What is left to be determined now is if what we are seeing today is a function of "international risk and fear" or if its the beginning of "Peak Oil" functions we're seeing. I tend to believe it is fear, and a price decline is around the corner of economic slowdown. Its too early for peak oil effects (IMO) as I believe peak oil only rears its head at times of high economic activity and economic activity can still be contracted. Peak oil for me is when we reach such a low level of supply that no level of economic contraction will reduce consumption. That's where I see the world crossing into the bleakest of peak oil scenarios.

If I were getting into this now, I'd be thinking about a couple of things,

1) Can I plan on this business until I retire,
2) Can I plan on vesture in a retirement contribution account by working for with the same company for 5 years.

Both seem to be difficult for me and my immediate circle friends, although some (perhaps less adventurous) have managed to stay in one place (with varying degrees of happiness and satisfaction).

What I would really say is true is that, expecially with supplies declining in the US, you should be prepared to travel because the work will follow the oil source and Houston does not have a lock on the business that it once did. Many petro engineering centers are opening up in other places and quite a bit of work once done in Houston and the US is being outsourced to eastern Europe, Asia, South America and a lot of producing countries are demanding more work be done in country. I don't mind travel, but that's also possible in my situation. Others may not find it so convenient.

In any case, I don't consider any job or position permanent and my loyalities are only to the given project I happen to be working on at any given time. If the contracts are in house, you have security only until they are completed or canceled, so not even that means too much. I say just enjoy it while the sun's shining. That's about the only real hi-value advice I can give, other than make your own decisions as to what's best for you and your family, and don't ever lose a previous contact. (A lot of people can do HVAC or pipeline engineering or whatever, but only YOU know the people that YOU know.)

Anyway that's MHO. Forgive my rambles.

Consider one aspect of the BigInch post - diversity. I once interviewed a "Control Systems" engineer who had twelve years experience sizing flow measurement orifice plates. Don't become that specialized. Someone who is hiring wants people who have experience; people who get along with people; and people who can do things they have never done.

Perhaps engineers applying Dynamic Positioning Systems will always be needed somewhere. However, don't become the guru for DPS III. Become the guru for equipment packages.

Since you mention it, I'll tell you my most favorite quote of all time,

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Hi there!
Nice thread. I am looking to get into the BIZ too. Preferably seismic navigation. I am pretty lost at where exactly to look since it appears that companies use different terminology for specific jobs. I too am in the HVAC industry but have a HUGE background of work experience.
Again any help or insight would be appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back