Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just got a paycut, how to proceed? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanman72

Chemical
Jul 6, 2008
US
It isn't a paycut to my base salary. I work on a rotational basis, and about 10% of our income is in the form of bonuses for relocating on every assignment we go on, which can last anywhere from 6-12 months each. The structure of these bonuses have changed so that we're getting screwed out of most of it

Also we found out today that if we're fired or leave the company within 2 years after relocating, there going to force us to pay that bonus back. Wtf is that bullshit? I hate my job and even in this economy, i'm looking for a way out. No luck yet though. These weren't the terms I agreed to when coming on board.

My question is what can and will my company do if I to leave, they want me to pay back past bonuses, and I'm like "Nope! Srry lol"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can understand your frustration as I have been out of work for 10 months now, but at least you still have an income. Be happy for that. Many do not.

Meaning no disrespect here though, it would serve you well to quell your emotions and temper the language as that too, if you think about it, is not professional either.

Remember that you gather more flies with honey than vinegar.

Good luck...

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

I'd consult a lawyer, and dig up every scrap of documentation I might have concerning the bonuses. I would also make copies of these newer missives, since, if they are now saying that it's retroactive, this implies that it wasn't retroactive before, and you'd have a good case to fight with.

Unless it was agreed to beforehand, they should not be able to retroactively dock your pay.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I'd say any money you received before your employer changed the agreement doesn't need to be paid back. I'm fairly certain most judges would say that, as well.

Having to pay back relocation money if employer terminates you is also out-of-bounds.

so if you are "getting screwed out of" all the bonus money, there really isn't anything to pay back when you get fired is there? You could hire an attorney and fight this, but don't expect to get a glowing recommendation for your next job. Hope you have a lot of money put away until you get that next job.

What can they do?

Well, they can sue.

They might not win. In fact, they probably won't win, and the probably even know that.

But it will cost you to call their bluff, so you're screwed either way.

I do not know where in the world you are but in the UK it will all come down to whatever your employment contract says; it is a legally binding contract.

If you are in the UK speak to ACAS.

Where are all the guys who said trade unions are obsolete.

You need another job if at all possible.

If jobs are really that tight where you are, you may be screwed. If ever you can screw them without it damaging your reputation, then revenge is sweet, but it can often come back to bite you in ways you failed to realise where possible.

Starting out yourself in opposition and doing better than they do then taking a truckload of valuable staff and customers from them is always the best revenge.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Stop being angry, and dump the juvenile "text-speak" and obsenities. That's unprofessional. It's time to act like a grownup now. Nobody here knows your history with this company, but with your post one has to wonder how they view your behavior. I've seen companies treat "trouble employees" very badly in a way to get them to quit because firing them would incur severance expenses. Most employees have very few rights due to "at will employment" practices, but there are a few. Most company HR departments hope their employees don't find out about them.

Unless you signed an agreement stating that you agree to repay previous bonuses if they fire you, then the point is moot. If they present you a document to sign, politely say "no thanks." They have no legal standing upon which to make such a demand. If they terminate your employment and then send you a letter demanding repayment, keep it for your records. Politely respond with the demand that they produce a record of some such agreement. Otherwise ignore this nonsense.

Document all of this very well. Learn to judiciously use the modern-day hot button phrases: "hostile workplace", "harassment", "unfair practices", and what not.

Quitting and being required to repay bonuses etc., is indeed common practice. But ONLY if you have signed some sort of agreement. If no agreement, then...

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

My current employment has me required to repay a portion of a signing bonus and moving expenses if I leave. But this was agreed when I took the position. If it came up after, I would plan to leave on that date even if I loved the job. If they let me go, I get to keep the money. Good thing it would cost a bit to move back to the mainland.

Fanman are they paying your moving expenses or is the bonus their way of paying your moving expenses? If not then don't accept the next move without the expenses paid, and not returnable if you get fired. (I might consider giving them 2 years notice now, it might shake things up a bit, but only if you can take a period of unemployment).

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Before your can consider repayment of any bonus you've received, you have to have a new job. I'd go see what's out there first. You may not be as valuable as you think. If you plan on challenging your current employer's policy, consult with a labor attorney and find out how much it's going to cost you in legal fees. Even if you win in court, if you cannot recover your legal expenses, financially it is the same as a loss. And you have burned a bridge which may affect your ability to get a better job. It's not like it is on TV. No big win after half an hour. It takes years. And in that time the lawsuit will have taken over your life. You will have to front all the money yourself and hope that your current employer has the ability to pay you if you should win. Winning is only half of it. Collecting is the other half they don't show on TV. You need to put the numbers together and make a rational decision.

"If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance!"

To answer this post

"so if you are "getting screwed out of" all the bonus money, there really isn't anything to pay back when you get fired is there? You could hire an attorney and fight this, but don't expect to get a glowing recommendation for your next job. Hope you have a lot of money put away until you get that next job. "

After taxes, certain expenses in finding a place to live, the relocation bonus is much smaller about half of what it used to be in terms of what goes into our bank account. However they want us to be responsible in paying back back everything, including the tax liability. It's ridiculous

Get all the dirt you can on the boss. Then tell him to stick it.

Or be pragmatic, realise the economy has gone down the gurglar and grin and bear it. move to a cheaper suburb , spend less on frivolous things, get a second job and accept that the big USA is not the land of the free and you are just a small pawn in the scheme of things.

The economic crisis was created by the big end of town because the "pawns" wanted too much for their services. So much so there was a so called shortage of engineers. The pawns are just being snapped back in there box and the Chinese being given a serve from the masters..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back