Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Just got hired for a drafting job using SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidinindy

Industrial
Jun 9, 2004
US
I just got hired by a large engineering / drafting firm.
I am overqualified for the drafting stuff, but they are wanting to take on more design/modeling work, and this is the reason for hiring me. Hopefully, they'll get the design work, and I won't be just drafting for long.
My issue is, I have used Solidworks to do modeling, but have only created simple 2D prints with minimal dimensions. (overalls, and maybe a few critical dimensions)
Is the drafting capabilities of Solidworks up to dimensioning aircraft parts? From what I used, it seemed pretty rudimentary.
Unfortunately, my seat of SW is down right now, and I've given up on getting help from support. I'd like to play with it and be able to "hit the floor running".

David
Lost in career transition.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've created extremely complexed casting & machine drawings using SWx. IMHO, it's as capable as any MCAD software in the market today. I know some may argue it's not as good as Pro/e, Solidedge, Inventor or any other mainstream MCAD software but then again those programs have their own set of weaknesses. Best of luck, and keep us posted.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

I use it 9 hrs a day designing products for aircraft engines. Works well and the customers are happy. It does has it's downs with drawings just like any other CAD software. Setup your templates to meet aerospace/military standards and you will be fine. Congrat's and good luck.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP2.0 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Im not quite in the aerospace leauge (although I would do anything for a CAD job in that) but I do you use SW most days for solid modeling, sheet metal and drafting, and it is brilliant to use for drafting I feel.

SW is a very capable drafting tool. The only problem you may run into is trying to match existing "corporate standards" at your new employeer.

Many companies claim to follow this standard (ASTM) or that standard (ISO), but many of these companies also adopt their own little way of detailing and documenting things. This is either to help the assemblers or manufacturing/inspection in some way. Many companies are used to the "flexibility" of AutoCAD or other programs, and expect SW to be the same.

Just be prepared to try to mimic existing drafting practices at your new job, and be prepared to defend why SW "can't do that." Many people think that just because that have spent ~$5k on a program it should do everything, not knowing that what they have been doing in the past is either out dated or just plain wrong.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I agree with MadMango. Any environment that been doing something else for a long time is resistant to change. SW is very capable in the drawing area. One thing I would like to add to what Mango said, is that focus on the huge improvement that Solidworks has to offer. And if they use Acad primarily, SW has a sweet 1:1 enabling and mapping tool that allows you to get real close to what their current standards might be. Overall, the drafting portion has had more improvements then anything else I feel, especially since SW2003. It's only short coming (for me) is it can't do closed Polylines, which some vendors need in order to create artwork or certain kinds of tooling. I'm the only SW guy in an all Acad environment, and it's not easy, but in two weeks I've already showed Mgt. that they did the right thing.

John

The company is Productive Resources.
They actually decided I'd be better applied to a chassis engineering team.
So, I'll be breaking down a truck chassis and detailing it for the fab shop to build a prototype.
The designer didn't design the thing as a welded structure though, and they want the tubing to be laser cut to fit together. (one piece cut to fit the rounded edges of the mating piece.) They also want tabs designed it to fit into slots in the mating piece.
I'm trying to figure out how to do this right now. Searched the SW forum on weldments, and didn't find any previuos discussion.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back