Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard shortcuts for principal views

Status
Not open for further replies.

imagitec

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2003
US
The following thread explains how to set up keyboard shortcuts:

The original poster wanted to set up Ctrl+1 through Ctrl+7 to toggle between model views, like in SolidWorks. Coming from SolidWorks, I wanted to do the same, but there was no easy way to discover the corresponding commands that the keystrokes should be matched to.

I discovered the ideasCommand.xml file in the IDEAS program directory and - after some trial and error - found that adding the following entries to ideas.ini:

Accel101=CONTROL-F1;icon;GUI_z_view
Accel102=CONTROL-F2;icon;GUI_AXSYM_VIEW_MAN
Accel103=CONTROL-F3;icon;GUI_nx_view
Accel104=CONTROL-F4;icon;GUI_x_view
Accel105=CONTROL-F5;icon;GUI_y_view
Accel106=CONTROL-F6;icon;GUI_AXSYM_VIEW

would map Ctrl+F1 through Ctrl+F6 to Front, Back, Left, Right, Top, Bottom, in that order (I-DEAS doesn't allow you to map to CTRL+1, etc.). The labels (Accel101, etc.) don't need to be the same in your ini file. I believe they just need to be unique.

Rob

Rob Campbell, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I discovered an easier way than deciphering ideasCommand.xml to find the correct sequences for many commands. Open up the Tools->Customize dialog. Find the command of interest by selecting first a category then a specific command. Then click COPY, and the command sequence will be displayed in a dialog box. Once you've copied the sequence, cancel out of the dialog box, because you'll still be making your changes to ideas.ini.

Using this method, the keyboard shortcuts become:

Accel101=CONTROL-F1;command;/v v pe of; e 0 0 1 0; okay;
Accel102=CONTROL-F2;command;/v v pe of; e 0 0 -1 0; okay;
Accel103=CONTROL-F3;command;/v v pe of; e -1 0 0 0; okay;
Accel104=CONTROL-F4;command;/v v pe of; e 1 0 0 0; okay;
Accel105=CONTROL-F5;command;/v v pe of; e 0 1 0 0; okay;
Accel106=CONTROL-F6;command;/v v pe of; e 0 -1 0 0; okay;
Accel110=CONTROL-F7;command;$ /v v pe of; e 3 4 5 0; okay;

Using the ideasCommand.xml method, I was never able to map the left or isometric views correctly, so this is much better.

Rob

Rob Campbell, PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back