Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Keyboard shortcuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneVan

Mechanical
Dec 22, 2005
US
Does anybody know if a temporary file or some sort of document/list gets created (or can be created) of your current keyboard shortcut settings? I have a list of the default keyboard shortcuts but I would like to see a list of what my current shortcuts are set at if such a list exists.

Anne Van Epern
C.G. Bretting Mfg., Ashland, WI

SW 2006 SP4.1 DBWorks 2005
Quadro FX 3000
Pentium 4 2GHz 1GB RAM
WinXP 02 SP2

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's all stored very cryptically in your registry. I think I remember reading that a shortcut list was one of the new features of '07 (and one long needed at that).

Thanks for the response!

I kinda figured that info was stored in just the reg. And now that you mention it, I think I remember reading about that in '07 what's new too. It would be handy, some of my users like to print out a list and keep it by their keyboard for a quick reference.

Anne Van Epern
C.G. Bretting Mfg., Ashland, WI

SW 2006 SP4.1 DBWorks 2005
Quadro FX 3000
Pentium 4 2GHz 1GB RAM
WinXP 02 SP2

AnneVan

I use keyboard shortcuts also. What I did was create an Excel spreadsheet with all the keyboard shortcuts that I have progrmmmed in plus, some empty spaces for future add-ins. Then I print this spreadsheet off and have it beside my computer. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ralph Wright, CSWP
SolidWorks 2005, SP5.0
P4, 2.53Ghz
1.5 Gb RAM
ATI Fire GL8800 Card
Windows 2000 Pro

Ralph,
Works great if you have the forethought to record each shortcut on your spreadsheet. My personal experience is more like the following:

"Of course I'll remember mapping [insert commmand here] to Ctrl-Alt-4"

6 months later...

"What, Ctrl-Alt-4 is already mapped? What in the world could I have mapped to Ctrl-Alt-4?"

:p

LOL Handleman. I have one of those keyboard with the "PF" programmable function keys (well, two actually counting my extended 20 keypad). I actually use shortcut key strokes like CNTL-ALT-4 and program those to the PF keys. But that required planned, so of course I have all of those mapped on a document for reference.

BTW, I've been putting in a requests for years to have SW improve their shortcut key interface. Even manually edits and old autoloading AutoCAD LISP shortcuts routine (c. 1990) was much easier to handle than SW shortcuts interface 1998 to 2006.

fcsuper,
I'm in a similar boat with the cryptic shortcut keys. I use "StrokeIt", which is a mouse gesturing program. Basically you draw lines or shapes with your mouse while holding down the right mouse button. The program is a little TSR (if they still call them that) that captures your strokes, looks at what program you're running, and then executes either a global action (like "minimize") or an app-specific action if one is set up. It really helps when you have your screen resolution set up to maximize CAD space by making all your buttons teeny-tiny.

SolidWorks has a utility to save your options, keyboard shortcuts, and toolbar settings (and it actually works).

Go to Start > All Programs > SolidWorks > SolidWorks Tools > Copy Settings Wizard.

It creates a registry document, which you can keep handy in case of the need to debug or reinstall. When you need the file (don't delete it--stash it somewhere safe or back it up) you just restore the file using the same utility.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

handleman

The keyboard shortcut printout that I keep at my computer's side has 2 columns, one for the keyboard name and another one for what command it does, like Shift+C equals Chamfer Dimension or L equals Linear Pattern. I look at the printout when I want to add another keyboard shortcut. I also save the keyboard shortcut sheet so I can update it when required and do a new printout. I also did what Theophilus suggests and that comes in handy because someone wanted to use my keyboard shortcuts so he loaded my settings and he has what I have for keyboard shortcuts.

Cheers,

Ralph Wright, CSWP
SolidWorks 2005, SP5.0
P4, 2.53Ghz
1.5 Gb RAM
ATI Fire GL8800 Card
Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back