Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kind of embarrassing newbie question regarding tolerances

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBobroski

Aerospace
Oct 11, 2010
US
I've been in the industry for about a year doing design work/drafting, and for the love of me I cannot figure this out. Sometimes dimensions will show as nominal in my drawing, and the nominal box will be greyed out. Other times I can change the nominal value within the drawing itself, and change it from nominal to show Plusminus tolerances, etc.

My questions are:
1) How come some dimensions can be changed within a drawing whereas others cannot?
2) If a dimension is grayed out as nominal, but I want to show it with +- superscript subscript tolerances (e.g +.000 -.002) how would I go about doing this, since I can't change the dimensioning scheme from nominal? I can manually show a symmetric tolerancing scheme by typing it in as a postfix on the dimension, but if it isn't symmetric I cannot get it to display properly.

Thanks for the help in advance. I'm still getting the hang of proper industrial practices / good design intent.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to go into your drawing options file and set "tol_display" to yes. Save this file and have your drawing template load the file with your settings.

Once you do this, you can change the display in the dimension properties window.

I have an issue with my install where if I want to use the limits display I first need to select nominal, then put my upper and lower in under nominal, and then switch back to limit display. If anyone knows how to fix that I will be happy.

Alright. Unfortunately I cannot find my drawing setup file. The config.pro references a filename that doesn't exist.

If this file doesn't exist will pro/e just load default settings? Or will it give an error?

Once I create my own (I take it I just make a .txt file and say tol_display yes?) I apply it by adding in my config.pro drawing_setup_file /filename.dtl? Do I have to manually add on the .dtl when saving the text file, or will pro/e accept the .txt?

And once I make those changes, will it propagate through my drawings already done, or do I somehow have to refresh the individual drawings so to speak? I currently don't use a template as much as I use a format, although I really should set up a standard template.

Thanks in advance.

Aha. This explains everything. for some reason my config.pro was pointing to a nonexistent .dtl file. Upon correction of that and adjustment of the tol_display, everything works as it should. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back