Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kinematic contact & Penalty contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nir_k

Mechanical
Apr 13, 2021
TW
Hi all, I'm running a metal cutting simulation with Abaqus/explicit. Generally, I use the Kinematic contact between the tool surface and workpiece surface(node-set), but when I set the rigid tool to rotate, it suggests that I can't use kinematic contact anymore, I have to use penalty contact. I wonder whether using penalty contact affects the accuracy of the simulation results or not?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the documentation chapter "Contact Constraint Enforcement Methods in Abaqus/Explicit". There you will find a detailed description of both types of contact and tips for choosing between them. Penalty is indeed recommended for cases involving contact with rigid bodies. It has minor effect on time increment size and it may cause some penetrations but it's rarely a problem.

Currently, it is advised to use general contact instead of contact pairs in most cases. And for general contact the penalty method is the only option.

I agree with the previous poster, for explicit analysis I don't see a reason not to use the general contact domain as it simplifies most contact problems.

To answer your question whether the type of contact affects the results (penalty vs kinematic); I suggest running a simple model with both types of contacts and comparing the results.

Hi, FEA way and g.alshamsi, Thanks for your help. And I have run the cutting simulation under two situations; It seemed that contact type(Kinematic contact & Penalty contact) do not affect the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back