Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KNOCK OUT 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

72mattski

Industrial
Jun 7, 2013
US
I need to make several, ten to be exact, 2.15" x 3" rectangular holes in a new control panel door, about 16 gauge thick. This is to mount some Red Lion, Cub5 counter/rate meters. Is there an inexpensive way to do this with out completely disassembling the panel door or buying a die and punch set (for this size the price from Greenlee is around $1k, not counting the manual hydraulic pump required). I could use a jigsaw with a metal blade, but I fear the cutting will be less than perfect. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Chief Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The cut does not need to be perfect. The bezel of the instrument covers up the cut edges. A step drill is the best way to make a starter hole in sheet metal for the saw blade. Masking tape can protect the paint while sawing.

If the panel door is aluminum, you can use a hand nibbler.
If it's steel, you need a bigger hand.

The real trick to a neat job is to cover everything with blue tape before you start, and work carefully. Or pay someone who works carefully to do it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

McMaster Carr, has hand nibblers that can cut up to 1/4" steel and their smaller sizes are rated at a maximum of 16 Gauge. But a simple technique would be for a jig saw like the others have suggested above.

As always, great feedback. I love this website. My original suspicions confirmed, I think I will go the way of the jig saw.

Thanks to all you guys.

Matt Merrick
Chief Engineer

If you can un-mount the door, laser cutting or water jet cutting can be a viable and cost effective solution.

A jig saw will certainly work; use a fine tooth blade, and work slowly and carefully. Cover everything around the holes with blue painter's tape. The tape will prevent the vibrating saw from embedding metal chips in the cabinet's paint. Burnish/press the tape down well, or the blade and saw base will peel up the tape as you cut.

SceneryDriver

WB-drawing-b1.gif

steel-header.jpg

Next time (and anyone else seeing their design requires 5-10 counter/rate meters in a single panel door), use a HMI screen instead like Allen Bradley's Panelview. Then you will be only cutting out one squire to mount HMI screen, and you get the added functionality and expandability at little cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back