Knock resistance rating for Natural Gas 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rostanlin

Petroleum
Oct 30, 2013
TR
Greetings,
I am looking for the procedures to calculate the knock resistance rating for natural gases, required for Gas Engines °BTDC adjusting . Specifically, I need the calculation procedures for WKI (Waukesha Knock Index for Waukesha Gas Engines), Methane Number (Caterpillar Gas Engines) and n-Butane Number (White Superior Gas Engines).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I need the ecuations, i mean, the calculation procedure. I already have the WKI and Gas Engine Rating Pro (GERP), but I need to do a spreadsheet comparing all of these methods for knock resistance rating for natural gases

That's a tall order. You are effectively asking for engine manufuacturers to divulge their hard-won intellectual property regarding fuel composition versus knock sensitivity.

"Schiefgehen will, was schiefgehen kann" - das Murphygesetz

So why exactly? If you use the CAT program for a Jennbacher or Waukesha engine and have a problem likely it will be on you. I can't speak for other manufacturers but know the CAT Methane number program is validated in the engine labs and test cells, and if you have to make adjustments, use the calculator, that is why it is free to download.

Have you looked at this paper?
This is the European Engine Manufacturers Association position paper on methane number calcs.

Mike L.

We have on a same Gas compressor plant more than 20 gas engine(Waukesha and Caterpillar and gas Engine and Solar Turbines) and the gas fuel source change frecuently, so it is important to update the ignition timing and that is why I want to use a single spreasheet to calculate Methane Number and WKI.

You might try to generate a representative range of different composition cases, run them through the various calculators or lookup tables, then do a correlation in Excel to get the one-stop shopping spreadsheet you want. I mean, you could generate curves and use the curve coefficients to back calculate empirical calculations, which is what they are after all.

KI for Natural gas varies wildly. Pure Methane is high, Natural gas with propane, butane and other "anes" has a lower KI. I have seen some cog samples that were not much better than 93 octane pump gas due to other heavy molecule junk in the fuel.

That's true, and the OP seems to be quite aware of this. Basically, the OP is asking for the inner workings of the various OEM's knock rating/methane no. calculators, not the black box version, which seems to be readily available.

A simple linear regression on a dozen different gas samples and results would work just fine.

I find it quite funny when the gas engine packager wants to know the composition of the fuel gas in our rich gas gathering system so they can set the engine up. I said it's the same as the composition that I gave 6 months ago for the last unit. The engineer gets all excited and says it can't be, this compressor is going to be 5 miles away from the last one. I try to explain to the kids that the composition changes every hour if not sooner.

Please note that the WKI calculation is very different than the calculations generated by CAT GERP. The two should not be interchanged. The most commonly available method of calculating MN is the CARB method, easy but not very accurate, especially if you gas contains significant quantities of CO2, H2S, H2, or CO. The CAT GERP method matches measured MN better than most applications in my experience. They are releasing a new version that (version 5) that supposedly further improves the MN calculation. I've a paper comparing various MN calculation methods if anyone is interested. It was presented at the 2014 Gas Machinery Conference.

I've generated an open source method that very closely matches the measured MN data available in the public domain. It does have some limitations for 'producer gases' but should work well for most natural gas compositions.

Error 404 - Not Found

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back