Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Knurled surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

danoo

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2007
US
I have a round extruded part and want to add and external knurl to th surface. I have seen it done awhile ago. Can someone step me thru the process.

Thank you,
Danoo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi danoo,

If you go to view > color and appearance, the appearance editor dialog box opens. From here you can add a new appearance (click on the plus). If you select the Map tab, you should see options for bump, color texture, and decal. Click on the white square in the bump section, and the appearance placement box should open. If you click on the plus again, you can browse .tx3 files for the knurled pattern. Select the pattern in the appearance placement dialog box, then hit close.
Back in the Appearance Editor dialog box, select "surfaces" in the drop down menu under assignment. You can then select the surface you wish to apply the knurling to, select OK, then Apply.

Note: If you do not have the knurled pattern in your library of .tx3 files, perhaps you can find somewhere online to get it. Does anyone else know a good place to look?

-Michael Burlone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back