Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kollmorgen drive failure(On power up?) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederik2003

Electrical
May 29, 2003
CA
Hello,

We used Kollmorgen Servo drives model CE06200 and CE06250 (same model with different current properties) on a job a few years ago. Serial number between 99A180-99A195..
Since then, sometimes (pretty often) when we have to shut power down, there is one or more of the drives that never work again on power up (both model numbers do it). There is about 20 drives for this job, and each of them failed at least once since the machine is running (few years).

It looks like a power supply failure, nothing happens on the drive, as if there was no power. The last time we had to shut down, 2 of the drives did it. We dont see any particular operation that is made during the shut down period that could cause this kind of problem. We send the drives for repair, but Kollmorgen send new/repaired drives and does not give us any hint of what happenned to the drives.

Any of you experienced similar reliability problems with this drive model/brand ?
What do you suggest ?
Any hints would be welcome.

Frederik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi

since the common denominator of these drives is your power supply, i suggest to rent a power quality monitoring instrument... make sure to cover the weekend wherein the demand for power is low...

this is a good and cheap way to start and can eliminate the source of trouble step by step..

goodluck,

dydt

What is the kVA rating of the electrical service feeding the drives vs. the kVA rating of the drive? My guess is that current spikes are occuring as the DC bus initially charges and the the power electronics are being damaged on power up. A line reactor in front of the drive would add impedance to the line and help to keep current spikes to an acceptable level.

If you are using fast acting semiconductor type fuses that are appropriately sized, the fuse should open first.

Frederik2003

What failed on the drives.Do they all fail for the same reason?The failure mode may be indicative of the root cause.

GusD

I would ask Kollmorgen to report what failed on each drive. Do they cover them under warranty every time?

The above suggestions for line conditioning could help, but don't you think Kollmorgen would ask why they keep failing? After all, you say that what, ~20 some drives have failed.

When in distribution, I sold many different Mfgs. drives and I have had problems like this. Sometimes something the customer was doing, other times if was a problem with the Mfgs. product.

I would press Kollmorgen on what exactly is failing and start from there.

Cameron Anderson - Sales & Applications Engineer
Aerotech, Inc. -
"Dedicated to the Science of Motion"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back