Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

KPI for Process Engineering Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvd111

Chemical
May 3, 2003
IR
Dear All,
As process engineering manager of a petrochemical plant I need some KPI to evaluate the performance of my staff and department. As you may know, Process Engineering Dept. is involved in different activities including:
- Production Planning and Control
- Evaluation and confirmation of technical modifications as well as issue drawings and documents
- Check receive and consumption of feed, utilities and chemicals
- Daily review of process parameters flow, level, temperature, pressure, ...
so, the KPIs and goals or objectives of my department should be aligned with these duties as well as corporate strategy.
Can someone help me in issuing some goals, objectives and KPIs for my dept?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends entirely on what's important to you. Figure out what's important for what you're trying to accomplish as a group and if there's a way to quantify that reasonably, use that.

If you're in an operating plant, maybe you care about downtime, or production, or budget, or something else. If you can reasonably tie those numbers back to an individual, then fine. Maybe everyone's doing similar work of a similar difficulty and you can measure quantity of deliverables, or quickness of response, or hours spent, or something else.

Or maybe there are only five people and a bunch of different type of work that you can't reasonably compare quantitatively. In that case you should pick qualitative things as a way of judging people.

Some KPI's for my engineering group are as follows:

Project files properly configured and kept up-to-date. Measured by checking them.

Project scope document prepared and agreed upon by stakeholders. Measured by checking files for scoping document, stakeholder comments, and resolution of stakeholder comments.

Project scope document updated with each progress submittal. Measured by checking files, etc.

Final deliverable addresses all stakeholder comments. Measured by checking files, etc., and spot checking with individual stakeholders.

Seems to me that your department is where the KPIs need to come from. Is it only about how much paper is generated and how neatly everything is typed? Are not errors and omissions and re-dos important? How much money is saved or wasted?

TTFN
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
homework forum: //faq731-376 forum1529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back