Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Kw backpressure correction factor for liquid PSVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyu

Chemical
Mar 20, 2003
US
Regarding the backpressure correction factor for balanced bellows PSVs in liquid service, Kw:

Has anyone seen values for Kw for backpressure/setpressure ratios greater than 80%?

I have a situation where I have a ratio greater than 80%, but I have never seen Kw values published for this range.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not and you shouldn't either. Your tail pipe (and downstream header, if applicable) is way too small. If this is a new design, increase your pipe size. You may want to re-evaluate your credible scenarios. You may also want to check if you bought (or are going to buy) too big of a relief valve or are buying the wrong type of valve. Bigger valves mean larger rated (capacity) flows.

If this is a check for an existing system, again, re-evaluate your scenarios. Check to see if your relief valve is the correct size (too large?) or type. You may have to improve your piping.

Check with the vendor you are interested in. They may be able to advise further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back