Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L.S., Having searched the inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yobbo

Mechanical
Apr 22, 2003
NL
L.S.,

Having searched the internet for suppliers or manufacturers of swirl tubes I find the entries very few and disappointing. Therefore I would like to appeal to the users of this forum to give me some hints or even detailed information, when possible, about the following problem.
At our power plant in Velsen in the Netherlands the phenomenon occurs that rust particles or rather flakes (diameter varying from 1 to 100 mm and a thickness of 0.2 mm) with a density of 3800 kg/m3 are emitted in the flue gas stream at certain stages of the operation. There is a high flow involved (350 m3/s). The stack inside diameter is 5.9 meter.

We are looking for the cause and to eliminate it. But until that time and as a last resort we want to find a way to separate these rust flakes from the gas stream. As we do not want to cause too much pressure drop we think a centrifugal separator device would be the solution to look for. The traditional cyclone design would result in an enormous device, which would also have far fetching implications for the rest of the installation. There is an alternative, a swirl tube that appears to be a more compact device. That would be more promising. I would like to find manufacturers or engineering firms (preferably in Europe, but not limited to this continent) who are able to design such a swirl tube in a reliable way based on proven practice. Word of caution though is that the shape of the flakes is extremely non-spherical, so that the usual formulas might not apply. I did check some literature about gas cyclones, but there is no real conclusive design guide line.
I am even considering a swirl tube in combination with some kind of propellor that forces a strong swirl upon the gas stream in order to reinforce the centrifugal effect of the separator.

So, if some of you may be able to give me some directions or tips to good literature or to specific engineering firms or manufacturers that deal with this subject I will appreciate it. If you know of another proven solution in this respect then please let me know about it.

Thanking you in advance for your comment I await your replies with most interest

Best regards

Karel Postulart, The Netherlands
Nuon Power Generation

Karel Postulart, The Netherlands
Nuon Power Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back