Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

L shape Building Diaphragm Tension Straps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supun93

Structural
Nov 28, 2019
LK
When we design a L Shape Building we need to design two diaphragms and need to connect them with straps to resist the lateral loads. I was unable to a specific code where shows how to design this strap and how to detail it on the drawings. Can anyone guide me how to design the connection between this two diaphragms. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Analysis of Irregular Shaped Structures Diaphragms and Shear Walls by Terry Malone is a great reference for light-frame construction. Your post is pretty vague on building construction type, prevailing code requirements. What is your thoughts on the analysis?

As a starting point, consider your diaphragm to be a beam (either simply supported or continuous over multiple supports with the supports being shear walls, moment frames, diagonal braces, etc.). Construct shear and moment diagrams to see what the forces and moments are at the intersection of the "L" pieces. Decouple the moments into forces. Design the straps. FYI....you may not be able to consider the "beam" as a continuous beam if your diaphragm is flexible.

This was always a concern in the back of my mind when designing large irregular wood diaphragms for seismic loads. Our typical practice was to model it as a rigid diaphragm. However there was typically no consideration given as to how the forces would get from one side of the L to the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back