Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

L shape concrete wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelnz2003

Civil/Environmental
Dec 21, 2007
NZ
Hi, I am trying to design an L-shaped concrete wall as part of the building model in Etab. I have noticed that the wall has M11 and M22 values. However, Etab is not showing me the interaction diagram in the section designer, as it does in other cases. When I used another program like Response, I got a value of say 180kNm, but Etab is showing a greater capacity of 800kNm.

My question is whether there is any other software that can be used for designing an L-shaped wall?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the past, I have exported pier loads from ETABS to a program like S-Concrete or SPColumn to design. L-shapes can be formed in the section designer in ETABS but the drawing procedure is definitely a nightmare if you have an irregular rebar layout. I am simultaneously surprised and not surprised that ETABS is giving you some weird capacities, though I would note to be cautious that your 2-D section's axes match up with your 3-D model wall axes if the legs of the L are not the same difference, since this will definitely affect the capacity calc.

I recall checking a P-M curve between SPColumn and ETABS for a T or L-shaped wall a while back and they came out pretty close to one another, but I'm not 100% certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back