Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

L1 orbits. (SpaceX launch delayed 1 day.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

racookpe1978

Nuclear
Feb 1, 2007
US
Was watching the SpaceX countdown, but it got scrubbed at about 3 minutes to launch. Blast!

regardless, a reader on the webcam asked how multiple spacecraft orbit the L1 position. I can "see" the L1 points as moving points in space as the earth rotates the sun, but each as a fixed point relative tot he earth.

But how does a spacecraft "orbit" a position that is itself not a gravity well, but the opposite of a gravity well - a gravity "plain" if you will where there local forces of gravity from several bodies all cancel? Doesn't seem logically possible.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It can oscillate around the "central" L1 point. Picture a skipping rope between the Earth and the Sun, and swinging the rope a little. That's the path of the oscillation, without getting far enough away from L1 to lose its position. I Just checked the old SOHO mission - they called it a "halo orbit" around L1.

Just guessing here, but I bet the oscillation can be 1/n years in period, so there's probably a rationale they can use to station multiple spacecraft in the region, and avoid conflicts.

For a real mind-bender, look up "Lissajous orbit". :)

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back