Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lab scale air saturation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxPlanck

Chemical
Jan 2, 2006
BE
Hi all,

I have to build a new test setup for testing adsorption behaviour (kinetics, water uptake,...) of desiccant materials.

We need a conditioned air (temperature and humidity) which flows through and over the desiccant sample.
Regarding this conditioning of the air (humidity): we need a maximum flow of +- 15 kg / hour with a relative humidity of 100% at maximum 50°C at atmospheric pressure(also 100%RH at lower temperatures, but they are not the limiting factor).

Can anyone advise on the way how we can saturate this air flow? A saturator column with saddles and a continuous flow of water down the column and air going up?
Or can I use a vessel(s) with water where the air flow bubbles through? Maybe there are still other possibilities?

Many thanks in advance,
MaxPlanck

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you have to be precisely at 100% RH, you have a big challenge. If you can be 1-3% either way, then it's not so hard:

Suggest you use counter-current, up-flow packed column, slightly flooded. A sparger can gete you there, but the design, fab, and operating challenges are greater. Run the discharge (saturated) air at least 10°C higher than what you want, and pass the air through a condensor/heat exchanger large enough that you have only 5-10° approach, controlling cooling water flow from the discharge air temperature. This will get you quite close. I used to use this approach in a pilot plant I ran, and worked. The water has to be DI, better than softened, but not ultra-pure (>16Mohm).

If you need actual 100%, you probably need to use an ultrasonic vaporizing nozzle, ultra-pure water, special materials. You'll also have a challenge measuring 100% RH to prove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back