Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lab test for chemicals used in refineries

Status
Not open for further replies.

simple70

Chemical
Jun 18, 2008
JO
Hi all,

Refineries use many chemicals such as (corrosion inhibitors, scale inhibitors, neutralizers, filmers ... etc) in the utilities sections (water treatment, steam production ... etc) and process units.

We receive many commercial offers when we prepare tenders for supply of such chemicals, as we don't follow a procedure of approved suppliers, we tend to make lab evaluation for different offered chemicals, but we don't have lab tests for all chemicals. Also we can't field test untrusted chemicals.

Can you share your experience in the best methods to evaluate such chemicals by recommending lab tests or experiments (even if prepared by yourselves)to compare the performance of offered chemicals. I'm having a particular problem in evaluating corrosion inhibitors in hydrocarbon systems (crude overhead) .

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Simple70:

In a sense, I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel with what is a very mature technology. Having spent some ten years (1960's-1970's) with Tretolite Division (now Baker-Hughes) of Petrolite in refinery process and finished product additive sales in the United States and Caribbean, most of what you are concerned about, with the possible exception of demulsifiers which are easily evaluated in a laboratory setting, have been thoroughly researched and identified by the vendor side of the business.

My suggestion to you is to get closely involved with suppliers such as Baker-Hughes, Nalco, GE Betz (to name a few) and let these folk provide what you require for either hydrocarbon-side or water-side problems. They collectively have a wealth of application information for virtually any issue in that industry that is additive treatable....take advantage of, and give some trust, in their abilities.

Orenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back