Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Labels on parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarey

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2005
US
All,
Currently where I work we model labels that are to be attached to parts. We physically model the material, and use "Wrap Text" to imprint the text onto the label model. Then we take the model of the label and in the assy, mate it to the part its to be applied to.
My question is: Does anyone else go about this the same way? Would anybody have a better suggestion on how to do this? Our company likes to see the label, in all its detail, on the assy prints.
I am currently on SW2005 SP2.0.

Thank You.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds normal if you need to see the linework of everything on the label.

Otherwise, I use a physically-modelled label (paper, plastic, mylar, whatever), and create a bitmap (JPEG) image for a decal and only render the results in PhotoWorks. Excellent results for photoreal renderings, without the higher intensity of extruded text and colored faces for all the letters, details, etc. for the labels (like the spackle container on our web site).

You might be able to do the same and simply insert an image file to your drawings (as a detail view, for instance) to depict what is seen on the label. Should save a decent amount of time and file size.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

If it's for cosmetic porpuses, we draw a sketch with the contents and make it visible, or make a very low thickness extrusion with colored surfaces.

If it's a tag for product indentification and technical data, we model the tag with its dimensions, assembly it in the model, but not necessarely show the text and images. That will be detailed in the drawing or technical specification.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back