Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ladish Sanitary Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTHGWayne

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2005
US
It has become increasingly difficult to find Ladish Sanitary fitting dimension information. I have searched the Net many times in differnet ways, but without success. Does anyone out there know where I can get the Ladish dimensional info or better yet, have info on the specific dimensional differences between Ladish and Cherry-Burrell sanitary fittings?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Leonard,

That Excel spreadsheet is not my work.

It is very useful though so I thank whoever originally created and updated it.

Regards, John

OTHGWayne

All's well that ends well. Thank you for your research and for the resulting reference for these fittings.

I went back into my archive of Ladish catalogs as far as Ladish catalog number 55 (1954) but as you apparently know it did not list the sought after sanitary fittings (but it was good for TEMA flanges and long neck welding flanges and that is getting to be rare data).

So since your rigorous research produced a pearl, I will make the thread for archival reference.

Regards, John.

Hi OTHGWayne,

Nearly forty years ago I was involved in a project where dairy and food piping was to be steam sterilised. We found Tri Clover to be not the best when it came to such applications. The piping using such fittings was generally broken down and cleaned manually at the end of a shift.

The fitting we eventually used was by Tube Investments from Sheffield in the UK. It had a double lip seal gasket that prevented contamination. Sorry I dont have a web site as I have been out of the industry for a while.

Geoffrey D Stone FIMechE C.Eng;FIEAust CP Eng

Stanier,

I have been using triclover joints for 10 years and there is no problem with the sterilzation, provided you have EPDM or Silicon gaskets. However, I am not sure of the changes that took place in the construction of the fittings over 30years.

Hi quark,

That is why I said it was 40 years ago. The project involved the microbiological examination of all surfaces after in line steam sterilisation.

We even found problems with the technology where the fitting was attached to the dairy pipe by rolling internally. After this finding all fittings used by the company had to be welded.

This was in line steam sterilization rather than washing with caustic and chlorinated water.

We found bugs that survived 140C temperatures even with steam sterilization.

Geoffrey D Stone FIMechE C.Eng;FIEAust CP Eng

Stainer, quark,

Thanks for the insights, heck, 40 years ago I was only 10 and didn't care about tri-clover fittings very much. :) Also worth mentioning in this history is Cherry Burrell who also makes a tri-clamp style fitting, although I do not know how long they have been making them. I understand that the two designs (CB and Ladish) are different and do not work together. Not a freindly design decision. Tube Investments, even though they have a remarkable history, do not appear to be a player in the sanitary fitting market any longer.

Recently, in 1997, ASME issued AMSE BPE 1997, which is a Bioprocessing Equipment standard. They strongly recommend butt weld connections where ever possible in the system, just like you found 40 years ago. But the BPE standard does define a gasketed clamp style fitting to be used where equipment must be romeved from the system for sterilization and/or service. Interestingly enough, the ASME fitting very closely mirrors the old Ladish design with a few small differences.

All in all, it is not an ideal system, but it is still the best we've got.

There are a number of different "sanitary" designs.
The most common that you speak of "triclamp" are interchangeable between Waukesha C-B, Alpha-laval, Jensen, (the list goes on).
Waukesha C-B also offers a "Q" line where the joint is almost identical to the "triclamp" but the flange is much thicker to accomodate higher pressures. They are VERY expensive in comparison (about $5 for a triclamp ferrule compared to $50 for a "Q" line of the same size and material)
The "big players" also offer "I-line" which can hand much higher pressures, the gaskets are completely different, and generally not as common.
Some other domestic types are "John Perry" and "bevel seat" which use a large nut to provide the clamping force (much like a standard pipe union)
Then there is a whole different batch of fittings that are "European" based metric (DIN fittings)

You can get a Waukesha C-B fitting catalog from my web-site.

I would imagine that you have probably found everything you need by now though.
I have some drawings if you need.

Good luck, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back