Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lag Screws

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Can you get lag screws with a flat head? All I've seen are hex heads.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would be better than a hex head... it's for a handrail attachment plate.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

I want something non-obtrusive for mounting the attachment plate to a wall. Have high loads... maybe look into longer #12 or #14 screws... I generally use lag screws for higher loads.

-Dik

Thanks... nice to know; they are attractive and may find another use for them. I was thinking that the head would be an obstruction... that's the reason for the flat head, or maybe a panhead fastener.

-Dik

The GRK fasteners that jotunn posted are relatively clean-looking, and the local carpenters in my area often leave them exposed. You can also get them stainless if needed.

Thanks, gentlemen... I've asked the client what he wants. I suspect a long #12 or #14 with a flat or pan head.

-Dik

You can counter-bore the wood so the head is below the surface. It's not very different than the countersink needed for a flat head. Don't forget the washer.

The steel plate will have countersunk part so the flat head will be flush with the top of the plate... thanks.

-Dik

Yup... one of the first. I was looking for a more conventional 'flat head' profile', and was wondering if lag screws came in that type of shape. I've often use lag screws for solid connections and was thinking of something like them. The information I've passed on to the client is for using a large diameter 'conventional' wood screw. I can develop the loads with them. Thanks for the response... my problem is that I'm not normally into wood construction... I do have a penchant for timber framing, having done numerous reports on timber framed barn structures.

-Dik

Dik:

Have you seen these? They might work better than wood screws and would have less prep work involved. Link

Regards, DB

NB: Plus they're fellow Canadians.

Thanks... I wasn't aware of these... and have forwarded the fastener type to 'my' wood guy... from the info...Wood/Wood, Wood/Concrete, Wood/Steel. I'll look into them, they seem to be pretty good.

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back