Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

laminate cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

acmetim

Electrical
Apr 26, 2006
US
i was speaking with a machinist today about magnetic cores. he showed me his magnetic transfer parallel blocks for his magnetic chucks. would there be an advantage to having cores made of a laminate material-(brass shim stock alterneting with steel shim stock)? im wondering about the advantages of less residual magnetics vs the generated attractive force. anybody know if somebody is making anything like this?
tim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello acmetim,

It would be more helpful if you could describe more of your application. Most magnet designs are optimized for particular applications. The design of a magnetic chuck are optimized for that particular function.

the machanism is the same as an old doorbell. there are two electromagnets running on a max of 12 volts dc. they attract an iron bar which is attached to a strip of spring steel. on the side of the bar opposite the coils is a contact point that is opened and closed by the pull and release of the bar to the coil cores. currently the cores and bar are both low carbon steel, which retain a bit of magnetism. i was wondering if this laminate set up might give me comparable or better magnetic attraction and a quicker release for more power and /or higher speeds.
?
tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back