Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laminating a thick plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecomp

Materials
Oct 19, 2010
PT
Hello,
I would like to laminate a plate with 10 to 12mm tickness, using rovimat, mat and coremat. Anyone can tell me the appropriate quantity and g/m2 of the materials above mentioned. I will use epoxy resin, the hand lay-up process and a vacuum bag.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What are you going to do with this plate after you have made it?
Core mat is a bulking material and will contribute very little strength to your layup. Also the dressings on some chopped strand mat materials are, not, epoxy compatable.

Rovimat is a French brand of a material usually known in the USA as: Bi Ply, Fabmat or Combi-Mat. These materials vary in weight from about 800 grammes per sq metre up depending on the application. Example Rovimat 1200 = 400 gm Mat 800 gm woven roving.
Come back with more information and you will get a better answer.
B.E.

Thanks, B.E., is not a single plate in fact, but one large geometry in form of U. The sides of the U geometry are smaller than de central geometry, and they will take a steel plate assembled with fasteners. Over these steel plates will be fixed one strutural mechanism. The composite must resist to the shear stress.

Ok,
So now you wish to size the plate.
It really does not matter what the weight of the individual plies of glass are, it is the total grammeture of the lay up that counts.
One caution, the heavier cloth weights have a lot of dead area between the interstices of the weave, that is why the mat is used to absorb some of this resin.
It is sometimes better to use more layers of a lighter cloth to achieve the same result.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back