Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lance (drum stinger) operated valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsteve80

Chemical
Aug 7, 2009
US
I am designing a small tank that will contain oil that will flush a drum lance (stinger), and it's associated pump and piping. I don't know if anyone even makes something that will do what I want, but I'm looking for a valve that will only open when the lance (1" stainless pipe) is pushed through the valve. In my mind I'm envisioning a swing check valve that has a spring to close it (the valve will be mounted 15° above horizontal). Does anyone know of such a valve? Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally, I would prefer a manual valve for this. Jamming the lance through a spring loaded check valve will eventually damage the check valve. A 1" pipe (1.315" OD) will fit through a 2" regular port ball valve (1.5" ID) or a 1.5" full port ball valve (1.44" ID). Data from Flowserve E-Series Flanged Ball Valve brochure.

Good luck,
Latexman

I am considering a manual valve. The only concern is that it will be close to the ground, and an ergonomics issue. I also thought about a pneumatic-actuated valve with a smaller control valve at waist height; I was just looking for a simpler solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back