Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Land Shaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

WootenEng

Civil/Environmental
Nov 29, 2011
US
I have been approached by a client to perform "Land Shaping". I have in my head that the work is a meticulous grading and drainage plan. Am I off-base? Do any of you know of articles and/or text to better define this application for me? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let me clarify... My company was approached. After brief discussion with the actual point of contact, I was curious. It is my understanding that they want to shape some "very flat" land to establish better use. The term land forming was used, and I started looking for more information to see if there was a practice/specialty called Land Forming that would differ from a providing a detailed grading and drainage plan.

I think that is where you tell the client what they want is called a grading plan.

Maybe the client played a lot of Populous or Sim City and got the term from something like that. Or their English isn't good, which seems like a logical choice of words. Or go ask what they want in person.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

When the client says "shape some very flat land to establish better use", what exactly do they mean by "better"? Are they trying to develop the land, or restore it to a more natural state?

In the later case, they could be referring to "land forming", used to establish or restore natural terrain and drainage patterns. Of course, there are other definitions and uses of the term, so you'll have to ask the client to elaborate on their meaning.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Restoring land to its original state is often done as mitigation for disturbance either adjacent to the site or on a site in the general vicinity. This can be especially true when there is a State or Federal permit required for activity that is being mitigated.

Traditional grading and land development tends to produce smooth impervious surfaces with shorter flow paths, resulting in increased runoff volume and peak flow. Natural land conditions, in comparison, tend to have better retention and infiltration capability, producing less runoff and erosion, while providing better groundwater recharge. Land forming can be used to approximate the natural conditions, and reduce runoff with minimum use of artificial structures, such as detention ponds.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back