Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Landslide susceptibility maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

killswitchengage

Geotechnical
Jan 5, 2015
DZ
Hello,
We are currently working on to create the first zoning of landslide susceptibility maps in Algeria. Problem is we are mostly composed of geotechnical engineers with little to no knowledge of what this mission requires . I know for sure that this is the job of a geomorphological engineer , so i was wondering if someone could provide me with just a resume of the methods used for such a mission , and a document that teach you how to visually detect landslide prone areas.
thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would seem that this project lends itself well to the techniques developed by Belcher approximately 1940's for the USA military using air photo interpretation techniques. I did a Google search for Donald Belcher and air photos. One of he links is his obituary by a fellow engineer.

I know the US Navy published several texts on the subject.

A search for Air photo interpretation will bring up texts on the subject as well as consultants that specialize in the methods. I had the luxury of being one of Belcher's grad students in 1955+/-. I used the methods now and then later in my work.

With some margin of error you can still get a contour or topographical/aerial maps from Google Map & Earth. You may have to pass the data through few other softwares. You can make topographical features from those for your preliminary map.

Just a few general thoughts...

Look for cliffs with steeply sloping exposed soil faces.

Look for horizontal cracks in the slope surface.

Look for trees that are leaning or curved up.

Look for overburden over a sloped clay lens with springs at the top of the clay layer.

Look for areas with a history of landslides from the general topographic maps.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back