Jan 3, 2008
NZ
Hi,

I am new to this forum.
I am in the process of learning Vb6.0
Last week I purchased the Black Book by Steven Holzner
I read the book.
In the book they haven’t mentioned about the Microsoft visual basic language
(For example if we purchase a c or a c++ book we can find numerous examples of writing a program using functions loops, etc....)
Can you please help me in this?
Can you please suggest me a good book or website through which I can learn the visual basic language.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If I was starting out I wouldn't bother with VB6 its 10 years old!

Try VB2008 Express (its free download) - very different from VB6 which is a PITA for those with large existing code base.

Depends on what you're using it for. There are still lots of places that use VB6 and will continue to do so because

1) they have the licence and are not going to bother getting a new one
2) seeing the word .net spells trouble and they'd rather not have anything to do with it. They just keep away from anything with .net in it.
3) the stuff they do is really simple. Actually it can be done in any language but they've chosen something that is easy to understand and easy to pick up.
4) there is lots of VB expertise about. The compiler is stable. It won't move, there won't be any new features. Nice to have a platform that doesn't change. It is hard work keeping up with the changes to VB.net. They have had 4 versions in 5 years!
5) from VB6, you can move on to VBA which is in all the Office packages like Word, Excel etc and to VBScript which can be used for command line scripting and web pages. VB.net has too many features that do not exist in VBScript and VBA.

Once you've gotten a base and don't have to worry about syntax and the like, then you could try other variants. VB.net introduces a lot of concepts that are foreign to people just starting out. It is difficult learning both concepts and programming at the same time. Takes about 3 months to get used to OO methods and all the terminology that goes with it. You may think you understand it but getting your brain to function in that way takes a while.

I know all this - still use VB6 daily myself

.net is several revisions ago its VB2008

The point is for someone just starting out it would make more sense to learn vb2008 than vb6

Thank you ALL.
Sorry for the late response to the thread.
Can you please guide me in learning the Object oriented programming (Creating and using OBJECTS)?

Expecting a positive result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back