Lap splicing of rebars with different orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addy78

Civil/Environmental
Nov 17, 2020
SA
Hi everyone,
I need opinion about lap splicing of rebars which have different orientation (one being diagonal and other at orthogonal axis).
The tower crane foundation was casted before which has rebars at orthogonal axes. Later raft foundation rebars were tied which were diagonal as per the footprint of building.
Now I need to know how these two rebars will be spliced so that pouring of concrete can take place.
N.B Pics are attached for understanding.
Thanks

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4e0a8657-df88-4487-96be-f4546a4edee3&file=67E14FE1-58A7-4F02-A632-9A87E1C81D6B.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd be okay with a normal 1.3 Ld bar extension into that diagonal grid. Yes, the load path is more convoluted than normal but, at the same time, a 6" offset splice is allowed and you've got ample bar to grab onto within 6" of your dowels. If I still that the ability to control the extension on the orthogonal dowels, I'd probably add 50% to 1.3 Ld just for good measure.

Thanks KootK for your insight. I was of the same opinion that as long as not contact splice requirements are fulfilled, stresses would be transferred from rebar to concrete. Any additional measure will warrant more safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back