Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laplace Transform, Fouier Transform or.... Giorgi Operator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

521AB

Electrical
Jun 23, 2003
CN
Anybody knows about Heavisude-Giorgi Operator, called "p" as far as I managed to understand?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Google for GIORGI operator does not give relevant answers.
Heaviside-Giorgi maybe, but I also didn't find that much.
I only know that "pure electrotechnical engineers" do not use the Laplace Transform, but the Giorgi operator, called "p". Everything works as if it was the Laplace transform.
mathematical definition of that operator I haven't seen, unfortunately.
It's an old question that I have in my mind, and sometimes I google-search for it, but I have never found any relevant information or answer; I was hoping that here somebody had heard or used it. Just curiosity

The only operator I know in ''Pure Electrotechnics''is 'a' which is used when calculating symetrical components, when working with unbalanced 3 phases systems.

a = < (angle) 120 degree
a^2 = < 240 degree

I need my Electrotechnics book to confirm these...

Hi

that's interesting, I cant imagine anything being simpler and better than the Laplace transform. I recently had to calculate inductor values by switching a voltage across an RL series circuit and noting the rate of voltage rise across the resistor.

Use of Laplace transforms and a spreadsheet then quickly and easily provides the inductor value. I can't imagine anything being simpler or better to use in place of the Laplace transform in this case.

I've heard about (George?) Heaviside. He was, i am told, a practical type who apparently derived system transfer functions using an applied "unit-step" or an impulse input. Apparently, his lack of adherence to the mathematical "status-quo" of his day brought him derision from the then classical mathematical fraternity.....though his work, i believe, was useful in understanding Fourier/Laplace theory etc....i was told that he was regarded as eccentric though i am sure he was not.

It's still not so clear to me if "Giorgi" means "De Giorgi" or "Giovanni Giorgi". Anyway it seems Giorgi was an Italian. All google searches with "Heaviside" and "Giorgi" bring to italian sites.
Anyway what I understood is that "Giorgi" (and Heaviside) got the idea of substituting the operator "d/dt" in linear differential equations with the "p". Then everything was very similar to the today's Laplace transform (instead of "p" it is "s") or with the modern algebra, where "d/dt" is a linear operator, called "D".
But... I don't find any reference on that... Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back