Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large angle cv joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakley45

Mechanical
Nov 28, 2007
GB
I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a problem, Im curently designing a vehicle with a large amout of travel. The problem i am encountering is getting the power from the dsmall differential in the middle of the car to the wheels, the wheels are currently mounted on an axle.
I am looking for a cv joint or something similar, I need to transmit the power at a max of 50 degrees! at the inner location for short persiods of time, not permanatly, and 30 degrees at the outer location and need to incorporate a pluge of approx 20mm
Ideally it would be flanged to I coule mate it to the other parts of the transmission

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

50 degrees of articulation is a lot, I can't remember what a standard CV joint is, I think it is 47 degrees. You won't be able to do that and get plunge in the same joint.

You could use a double cardan.

thirty degrees is easy - outer CV joint on a FWD for example.

You may need a seperate plunge joint

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Hi,
Gkn manufacture a UF joint (undercut free) that will take +50 degs of articulation due to it's lengthened ball track but it is not plunging. GKN's AAR will take 26 deg of articulation and plunge of 55mm (2.4inches). GKN's GI will take 23 deg of articulation. The VL joint was a favourite amongst the design engineers I use to liase with but for the life of me I cannot remember what articulation it (or the VL DO) was good for.
You could also try hardy spicer as a search on the internet
Cheers
JT

There are off-road suppliers who offer double-Cardan joints with up to 80 degrees of operating angle. (Yes, close to a right angle) Plunge would have to be dealt with by slip splines.

I have no experience with these, so I cannot offer any caveats. I picked up an offroading magazine for the first time in about six years just to see where the current "state of the art" for hobbyists is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back