Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

large blob of concrete - How many lifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrThink

Structural
Mar 19, 2004
US
I have a 150 kip 11 feet diam. tank that I am doing a foundation for. There are basements of an existing buildings directly adjacent to the tank. I was thinking of pouring a 10' deep x 12'X12' concrete blob in the ground to ensure no lateral pressure against the basement walls.

I was planning on using lean concrete.

My question is:
Do I have to worry about heat of hydration for this much concrete? What lift htg is acceptable and how much time between lifts?

I was planning on using type IIA concrete. Not too concerned if there is minor cracking.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Concrete with a least dimension greater than five feet must consider heat of hydration for the mass. The soil pressure will exceed 3 ksf. Multiple thermometers cast in various locations will help prove that minimal thermal gradient (from interior to exterior) existed.

your foundation is not very large 3.6m x 3.6m x 3m. You state you are going to use lean mix concrete. I do not think you will have a problem with heat of hydration.

Are you concerned that the concrete pressure during casting will cause the basement walls to fail.

Thanks for the responses. I may use flowable fill. But it is actuall more expensive in this area. The basment wall will be shored on a temporary basis during construction.

Does the tank have significant lateral loads? Any wind or seismic base shear might not be able to mobilize passive soil pressure with an adjacent below grade building. I would consider demonstrating any base shear was resisted by pure friction at the base of your flowfill pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back