Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Large deformation modeling in Plaxis

Status
Not open for further replies.

salut730

Civil/Environmental
Apr 6, 2009
IQ
thread274-427683
Hello everybody,

We are trying to model a plane strain problem in Plaxis2D and since the problem includes large deformations, we intend to update mesh for every phase in the calculations. The problem involves 3 cm of deformation in a domain with the overall length of 20 cm. Using prescribed deformations for the loading, I want to define, say 1 mm, for every phase of loading until the required displacement is obtained.
I would appreciate it if someone could help me with the following:
1) What sort of "calculation type" should be used? Is it "plastic analysis" or "consolidation analysis"? In a previous thread, it is mentioned that you can use "Dynamic analysis". However, that option does not allow for updated mesh to be used in analyses.

2) What type of loading input (parameters tab in Plaxis) should be used? The problem is certainly not staged construction. Despite this, if you choose other options (total multipliers or incremental multipliers), you can no longer choose the prescribed displacement for every phase of calculations.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back