Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Large diameter thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexfabrizio

Mechanical
Jun 28, 2002
ZA
Has a 50" diameter ACME thread (1 TPI) ever been design and built by anyone or any company. Lex Fabrizio
lexf@email.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No I have no such experience, but why can't you use a flanged joint. Torquing up a 50" thread would be a nightmare, without very special tooling, quite apart from gauging the male and female threads.

This joint is require for the REMOTE disconnection of the disc of a very special Knife Gate Valve for HELIUM!! Various concepts have been proposed including spring-applied/pneumatically released, the most favoured. The threaded joint offers the simplest solution if it can manufactured successfully. We have already made all the calculations regarding structural forces, torques, dynamics, etc. The only issue is manufacturability.

I hope this helps... Lex Fabrizio
lexf@email.com

The sub-sea oil industry have to do similar things. There may be some technology there. From previous experience they have had to do this type of process.

Thanks! I will do a search on the net and see if I can find something. I will appreciate it though if you can point me in a direction. Lex Fabrizio
lexf@email.com

ABB Vetco Gray has a connection called a Squinch? joint. Basically a stab joint with an o-ring seal. They also have others joints with metal to metal seal. Kvaerner and Cooper Cameron are two other companies that would have technologies. Search under riser connections or remote sub sea connections.

there is no reason why you cannot cut a 50x1 acme thread, if you have large enough machinery to do it with. Use the same angle and minor diameter formula as you would for any other size acme.

I agree with Norsk...
I work for a company with a moderately sized machine shop, and I'm not possitive but I believe we could machine something like that ourselves...if I HAD to ask for it. I would first investigate buying it, but would then look to a good machine shop to make it for you.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back