Not open for further replies.

MartinLe

Civil/Environmental
Oct 12, 2012
DE
This week a residential building in Essen, Germany, caught fire:

balkone-essen-feuer-brand-wohnkomplex_whgtoy.jpg

d624bc8a-9ba7-4cce-8222-a798c982b038_w948_r1.778_fpx56_fpy79_uyzl16.jpg

3 lightly injured, ~100 residents made it out unharmed.
Fire broke out on a balcony, spread over whole facade
The building was from 2016 or so, with a insulated (XPS as far as I can tell from the reports) facade. Building codes in Germany mandate a fire barrier every two storeys - now there's speculation if this was actually implemented.
There's also (IMO plausible) talk about the PVC cladding of the balconies helping the fire spread.
It took about 20 mins from first visible flames, to the whole facade beeing engulfed.
The house will be demolished.

There was also this exchange at a press conference:
Journalist: "Are you certain that the building was built according to the codes, given the tendency in the building sector to hand work over to subcontractors?"
Rep. of the firm owning the building "I'm certain there's a file that says so"

There's also some discussion if German building codes overestimate the safety of insulated facades.

I'm not remotely an expert with these things. My main thought is that everyone made it out in time, so maybe the fire protection of the building was ok. OTOH I think the rather nasty weather helped safe lives - most people will have had their windows closed. Maybe the same fire on a warm summer night would have been a total tragedy.
Then again, on an older building a fire would simply not spread from one balcony to the whole facade in 20 min, if at all.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

40115072_cujdvw.jpg

This is how the flame barriers should be positiones with an EPS insulation, barrier means >200mm strip of rockwool. To me (layman) 200mm does not seem like much.
The whole thing presumes that an insulation with (highly flammable) EPS is flame retardant, if built properly with a layer of plaster etc.

Yeah. 200mm doesn't exactly make me feel confident. It might work for horizontal panels.

A black swan to a turkey is a white swan to the butcher ... and to Boeing.

50mm of raw wool will stop most domestic flames as long as they can't get round the side.

The round the side is the biggest issue with all of these cladding things because the presumption is that it can't go internal from the outside which has proven time and time again to be a utterly bollocks presumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back