Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Laser Cutting 3/8 thick Material 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpetman

Automotive
Jun 28, 2003
CA
I am trying to get information/settings to cut mild steel on an NTC 5 axis with a PRC 2200Watt laser. I am told 3/8" is not a problem but to date have not been succsesful. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I cut 3/8" mild at around 500W CW with oxygen at 2 - 3 Bar with as fast a feed rate as possible, between 400 - 750mm per sec. Alternatively if the heat input into the plate is too high then using pulsed Wave with 1ms duration and 500Hz to 700Hz. This will give about 1kW average power but less heat into the work piece at a faster feed rate.

You can of course use inert gas such as Nitrogen at 15 Bar and use full power on you PRC then vary the feed rate for best results.

Of course, I expect that your beam alignment through the nozzle doesn't move around as the axis move!!! especially on a 5 axis system.

What the cut your getting like at the moment?

Thanks axiomatrix for the reply. At present all we are getting is a good cut at the top but on the bottom it is like molten metal. We were using 1500W and I'm not sur what oxy pressure because we were increasing and decreasing.I will try these settings you suggested and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back